Summer is officially here June 21, which means most of you will be breaking out the swimmies, surf boards and beach umbrellas to gear up for vacation. While you’re busy laying out the perfect attire, remember to prepare your home for vacation too. There are several key security and property measures to take prior to leaving for your summer location.
The Safer, The Better:
- Make your house look lived-in to avoid break-ins, such as stopping the newspaper or asking a friend to clean out your mailbox.
- Check all locks on windows and doors and turn on the security system.
- Turn on a lamp while turning off all others.
- Notify your credit card company that you will not be in town.
- Leave emergency contact information with a friend.
Prep Your Property for Vacay:
- Unplug small appliances and electrical devices.
- Make sure water valves are turned off to the sink and appliances, like the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Place the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it doesn’t run as much and saves energy.
- Set the thermostat on 85 degrees, but no hotter to shield your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove foul scents.
- Take out the trash and dispose of perishable food.
We hope these simple tips will help you in feeling at ease about leaving your house and allow you to fully enjoy this year’s vacation. If you have any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.