August is the time of year to take last-minute vacations, get hyped for football season, and prepare your kids to start school again. Here are a few safety suggestions to remember as you dive back into the school season.
School Zones are for Kids
- Follow the speed limit while in a school zone.
- Follow the direction of school crossing guards.
- Brake for school buses on both sides of the road and be cautious of children.
- Always keep an eye out for children, especially near schools.
- Never pass other vehicles, change lanes, or make U-turns in a school zone.
- If you must use a cell phone, only use hands-free devices.
- Never text and drive.
- Never park in handicap spaces unless licensed.
Walking to School
- Look both ways before you cross the street and only use marked crosswalks.
- Obey traffic signals, signs, and pavement markings.
- Pick the safest route between the school and your home and practice walking it with your children.
- Instruct your children to:
- never get into a car with anyone, even if they know them, without your permission.
- walk to school with other students.
- report any incidents to a teacher immediately.
- Teen driving statistics are astounding!
- “Half of all teens will be involved in a car crash before graduating from high school.” – NSC.org
- “Car accidents are the top cause of death for U.S. teens.” – NSC.org
- Help your teen stay safe by teaching the basics of being a good driver and watching out for pedestrians and other drivers.
- Check out these informative videos by the National Safety Council for help with the tip above:
Staying informed, educated and aware of these safety tips will help your family stay protected during the busy back-to-school season.
-From your friends at Paul Davis
Recover. Reconstruct. Restore.