While we’re busy adding layers and hoping it’s appropriate to sport fuzzy slippers in public, it is important to keep our furry friends in mind as well during these record-setting temperatures! Even though they have a coat of fur that we don’t have (most of us, anyway), they still need to escape the freezing cold weather!
A list of useful tips for pet owners include:
1. Allow your cats to join you inside. Outdoors, felines are liable to freeze.
2. During the winter, outdoor cats have been known to seek warmth under the hoods of vehicles. Sadly when the car is started, the cat can be injured or killed by the fan belt. If there are outdoor cats in your area, bang loudly on the car hood before you start the engine to give the cat a chance to run.
3. Never let your dog off the leash on ice or snow, especially during a snowstorm, dogs can lose their scent and easily become lost. More dogs are lost during the winter than during any other season, so make sure your dog always wears ID tags.
4. Thoroughly wipe off your dog’s legs and stomach as he comes in out of the ice, sleet or snow. He can likely ingest salt, antifreeze or other potentially hazardous chemicals while licking his paws.
5. Make sure your pet has a warm space to sleep, off the floor and away from all drafts. A comfy dog or cat bed with a warm pillow or blanket is perfect.
6. Never leave your cat or dog alone in a car during cold weather. A car can act as a refrigerator during the winter, holding in the cold and causing your pet to freeze to death.
7. Puppies don’t deal with the cold as well as adult dogs, and may be difficult to housebreak during the winter. If your puppy appears to be sensitive to the weather, you may want to paper-train him inside. If your dog is sensitive to the cold due to illness, age or breed type, take him/her outdoors only to relieve himself.
8. Does your pet spend a lot of time engaged in activities outdoors? Increase his supply of food, particularly protein, to keep him, and his coat, in tip-top shape.
You take care of your pets while Paul Davis takes care of your home!
To see the communities that Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling of Tulsa OK assists with water, fire, mold and storm damage clean up and repair, click here.